Sunday, July 21, 2013

Uneventful until...

There's this saying: All of this has happened before. All of this will happen again. It can't be more true in our case.

This second pregnancy was different from the start. After having a miscarriage in October 2012, getting pregnant again so quickly was already a miracle. But from the beginning, we didn't think this pregnancy would last. I was bleeding again and exhibiting all the signs of another miscarriage, but the baby stayed on, already showing signs of strength and endurance. 

The first trimester brought on so much nausea and vomiting, I thought I would never see the light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't gain any weight, but at least I didn't lose any weight either. Then, on the first day of my second trimester, everything went away as quickly as it came. It was amazing. I could eat again, I could smell scents again, and I could function again. Of course, euphoria never seems to last as long as you'd like. 

With the second trimester came the dreaded DNA tests. Since I will be 37 by the time the baby's born, I was considered "high risk." We prayed and we had faith that nothing would happen, but the tests came back positive for Down's Syndrome. I cried for a day. A day was enough. Eugene and I decided at the end of the day that no matter what the result, this was our baby and that was enough. This baby would be showered with so much love and affection regardless of the result. A few weeks later, a second test came back negative. 

The second trimester, also known as the honeymoon period, was wonderful. I started gaining weight, we found out that our precious little cargo was a girl, and Gideon, the big brother, was showing signs of a sweet and endearing big brother. It was a joyful time and we were just along for the ride. Nothing could have happened. Except...then the contractions started again.

When the contractions started, I felt like I was in familiar territory again. The same thing happened with Gideon. However, the contractions were not frequent and I didn't find them to be painful or harmful. Since this happened before, my doctor was not concerned either. Baby girl was as active as any baby could possibly be, kicking and fluttering around like a butterfly in my tummy, constantly reminding me that she was there. On July 10, everything changed.

No comments: