Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Expect the unexpected

July 10, 2013. The day everything was put into motion. It was just a regular typical day. Nothing special. Except, my contractions started to pick up to the point that I not only noticed, but wondered about them. I was already at work when I noticed how frequent they were happening so I started to monitor. Hm, 4 contractions an hour. That felt familiar...that was the same thing that happened when I was pregnant with Gideon. And because it felt so familiar, I just kept monitoring and didn't feel the need to contact the doctor.

July 11, 2013. Same as above, but I started to move slower. Way slower than before. And I felt more tired. Maybe the contractions were taking a toll on me, but I still didn't feel the need to contact the doctor. Honestly, I didn't want to be hospitalized.

July 12, 2013. I emailed my doctor and informed her of the contractions. I also informed her that I didn't want to be hospitalized. She replied right away: call labor and delivery because you need to be monitored. Sigh... I left work a wreck, crying all the way home. I didn't want the same thing to happen again. I didn't want to be hospitalized. I didn't want this pregnancy to hit anymore bumps. When I got home, I called labor and delivery and they told me to hydrate and monitor at home. Since I was only getting about 4 contractions an hour (and their threshold was 6), there was no need for me to go in. Whew! Dodged that bullet...or so I thought. Later in the evening, the contractions picked up again. "Hm, 6 an hour. I'll wait until tomorrow."

July 13, 2013 - July 14, 2013. First thing in the morning, I saw blood. But it was so little and I have a polyp on my cervix, I didn't think twice. Right before bed, I saw more blood. To the point where I started to hyperventilate. "This is not happening." I called labor and delivery and they told me to monitor again. If I have more bleeding in the next two hours, I'll need to go in. I called them again at 1:00am. Yes, there was more blood. Yes, I need to go in. Eugene assured me that it was probably just nothing, but it's always better to be safe. We woke up Gideon and went on our way. Poor Gideon, being woken up at 1:00am in the morning by his parents was not what he was expecting, but he was such a trooper.

At the hospital, the doctor did the usual exams and gave me the news. The baby's breached and I'm already dilated 4.5 cm. I have a meltdown right there and my whole world crashes. What did I do wrong? How could this have happened? What's going to happen to my baby? Needless to say, I was admitted and started on magnesium and received the first of two betamethasone shots. Hm, everything felt so familiar... My contractions start to be less frequent and I'm moved over to ante partum for observation. An ultrasound shows that everything baby is fine. I even get confirmation that the baby is a girl (yay!).

July 15, 2013. A very uneventful day. However uneventful, I'm given the news that I will be in the hospital a minimum of 1-2 weeks with the possibility of staying in the hospital for the rest of my pregnancy. Once again, I have a meltdown. What about my family? What about my little boy? I'm going to miss his first day of school. Eugene would have to take on the stress of taking care of everything including our son for possibly 12 weeks? Again I ask...why is this happening? Eugene is the picture of calm while he comforts me, letting me know that everything will be fine. As long as the baby was fine, we will get through this. 

No comments: